Saturday 5 September 2015

New country, New School, New Pedagogy


As you know, I taught in a 1:1 digital environment for 3 years in Auckland, New Zealand, and am now teaching London, England in a book based classroom with limited technology!

Last year I had been selected as part of the Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher Academy 2014. I was given the opportunity to inquire into my own practice, with the amazing support of the Manaiakalani Education Trust and the Telecom Foundation.

My inquiry question was... How do I promote high order thinking and cognitive engagement in my classroom, whilst supporting those who struggle when it comes to developing key competencies?  Years previous to this, not only was I learning how teach, I was also learning how to teaching using 1:1 digital devices. Year 5 had always been the netbook start up year, so naturally I would spend the first term introducing the kids to the device before we could start the real learning. My last year at Pt England had proven to be successful as reflected in my classroom results. I want to continue to be reflective and constantly inquire into my practice.

My journey continues here in London, however my pedagogy has now been challenged with minimal technology. I have only ever known how to teach in a digital classroom, how is this going to affect my practice? Is it still possible to provide rich and high order learning experiences with books, a smart board and 10 laptops? Is 'Learn, Create, Share' still possible? How will I truly hook and engage my learners? Well let's find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment